Bees. The word alone is enough to make you shiver.
Whenever you see one, you run in the other direction, arms flailing.
You love ladybugs and butterflies, but bees? No way. They’re evil! They sting! They’re scary looking, too. The world is better off without them.
Actually, bees are very important. Without them, our planet would be in trouble.
We completely understand. We get it. Bees aren’t about to win any popularity contests.
But, no matter how you feel about them, bees do a lot for us.
- They make honey. Tasty, great-on-just-about-anything honey.
- Studies show honey can soothe sore throats and kill bacteria.
- Apples, cherries, almonds, cucumbers, avocados – all of these foods depend on bee pollination so they can grow. Could you imagine a world without apple pie?
- Bees help gardens thrive. In fact, one colony can fertilize roughly 300 million flowers a day. That’s over two billion a week, or over 100 billion a year!
- They create jobs and boost the economy. Countless beekeepers rely on the income they make from selling honey. Some pass their knowledge down from generation to generation.
There’s a problem, though. Bees are disappearing at an alarming rate. Experts call this problem Colony Collapse Disorder, and it’s happening all over.
Greenpeace says the beehive population dropped 60% between 1947 and 2008. Yikes!
What (or who) is responsible? Some point to the dangerous pesticides farmers use on crops; others believe global warming and urban development are the culprits.
No matter what, we can’t let them disappear. We need bees now more than ever.
That’s why we’re donating a portion of our profits to any non-profit group working to save the bees.
At Yiiri, we believe in teamwork and making a difference. We want to change the world, one drive at a time.
Download our app now to join the fight.